A History of Web Hosting [Infographic]
Back in 1991, in order to host a website, you would need your own server. Today, you can sign up with any of a countless number of web hosts (even free ones) and stand up a website in minutes.
Like the cell phone, web hosting has evolved at a rapid pace — in fact, it was one of the first areas of IT with an obvious path to the cloud.
CloudTweaks has shared an infographic from Peer 1 Hosting, which tracks the evolution of the technology.
A few highlights from the graphic include:
- In 1995, GeoCities, offered 1 megabyte of space, while Angelfire offered 35 kilobytes
- In 2002, HostGator was founded in a Florida Atlantic University dorm room with 3 servers
- In 2008, the average web host’s storage was 171,000MB
- According to stats from 2011, there 2.1 billion users on the web
- By 2015, 50 percent of Integration as a Service will be consumed as an embedded feature of other IT offerings
Check out the full infographic from CloudTweaks below.