You know and love our Must-Read IT Blogs lists, but now, say hello to the nonprofit side.
If you’re a power user — let’s say you need to manage large data sets remotely or your job demands a serious processing load for high-end graphics — then you want a notebook with muscle enough to stand up to the daily grind. Check out this setup and a few flash extra tech items that might come in handy as well.
1. Notebook: Packing power, features and an onboard NVIDIA graphics controller, this Lenovo W700 ThinkPad comes in multiple configurations — sporting up to 8 gigabytes of RAM and even a solid-state drive if you want to pop for one. It’s no lightweight in capability or heft (weighing in at 8-plus pounds).
2. Port Replicator: A ThinkPad Advanced Mini-Dock will let you plug in and get down to business without fussing with cables and peripheral inputs.
3. Notebook Stand: Although far from a necessity, the addition of a ThinkPad Adjustable Notebook Stand will let you vary the level and angle of the W700’s 17-inch screen until you forget you’re working on a notebook PC. The stand can also come in handy if you use the notebook side by side with multiple external monitors (note that the dock clicks into the stand).
4. & 5. Keyboard and mouse: If you use a desktop replacement, don’t shortchange yourself on keyboard comfort when at an actual desk. The Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave Pro keyboard and mouse bundle are wireless so you can place them where it makes the most sense for you.
6. Card Scanner: Even in an e-gov world, the business card swap remains a constant. To convert cards to digital content and load their data to your contact manager (or export it to Excel), check out an IrisCard Mini 4 Scanner.
7. Flash Drive: Here’s something handy: The 4GB Lexar JumpDrive Secure II Plus has an external gauge so you’ll know when you’re about to max out on secure stow-and-go capacity.
8. Surge Protector: An APC Back-UPS ES 750 desktop unit will give you time to power down properly, plus its green master/control feature can automatically shut down idle peripherals.